Monday, October 21, 2013

Number 3 and #PinkWeekend

Treatment 3 is done!  I couldn't be more excited about being 75% done with the more difficult part of this cancer killing regiment.  I am learning to embrace all the symptoms with the mindset that any level of discomfort is killing cancer!

Chemotherapy is very reminiscent of Pregnancy: fatigue you cant shake, nausea, insomnia, hot flashes, and cravings.  My motto during pregnancy was to eat through the nausea, so why not do what works?!  I have a list of new favorite foods.  They are cravings like pregnancy, however they are much greasier as if to cure the worst hangover and pregnancy at the same time.  Thank God I have the most amazing husband that is willing to venture out into the greater Birmingham Area to find the foods I crave at all hours of the day and night. 1) Krystals - The Sack Full so I can heat up the leftovers.  2)Waffle House- BLT with hashbrowns diced, smothered, and covered.  3) Captain D's - four piece fish meal with extra malt vinager. 4) KFC- Cole Slaw.  5) LoftHouse Sugar Cookies  6)Strawberry Shortcake Icecream Bars.
Unfortunately, to make way for new favorite foods I have had to exile some old friends; meatloaf, pirates booty, and green apples.  I am beginning to think that I am going to be one of the only Chemo patients to gain weight, especially now that I have some fancy mouth wash and pills to help with the mouth sores.  If you are wondering what I am doing, just living the cancer killing life sleeping and eating.

This past weekend was the Susan G. Komen race for the cure.  It was an emotional event.  People fighting, surviving, and remembering their loved ones.  I was so lucky to be surrounded by so many friends and family members during this event.  I made it one mile!!  Not very far, but far enough to feel like I did something.  Ashley Packard couldn't have planned the race out and organized everyone any better, it was perfect!!!

   We got to put the Bark Inn to the test for the first time, I think it served us even better than the Dresden Inn did.  Every bedroom was filled, the couch, extra mattress, blow up mattress, and even the laundry room was occupied.  So much love crammed into our house!!  After the race we all came back to the house for hamburgers and hot dogs, then the guys started a game of "soccer" in the pool.  I have yet to figure out how you play soccer in the pool , but sometimes you just need things to ponder.  Just when I thought there couldn't be any more surprises the Ross' Renegade's Ladies (near and far) put together a wonderful hat box full of hats and scarves to keep my bald noggin warm!  With the temperatures dropping this is more than appreciated.  Never realized how much I relied on my hair for warmth.

When the sun went down we had s'mores, told stories, and made new memories.  This was exactly what I needed, the best medicine of all, LAUGHTER!!!!  We were so fortunate to celebrate John Packard's 27th birthday with him, ringing in a great year to come with sparklers and our beautiful voices (haha)! The next morning when Anna got up at 7 AM we were tip toeing through the kitchen, as to not wake anyone, and the laundry room door swung open to find Kenny.  " Don't you know some of us are trying to sleep around here!"  Apparently everyone went to bed and left Kenny on his own to find a place to sleep, no better place than the laundry room curled up with a pillow from the couch and a used beach towel as a blanket.  It was so great to have everyone in town!  As each person drove off I cried like a baby!  Missing everyone, but have loved reminiscing over all the memories!

I am so grateful for so many people that have reached out to me from my past and present!  You are all so amazing and make me feel so encouraged and loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment